Your opinion on the whole Wikipedia / AOL ad affair

Wikipedia had an offer by Jason Calacanis to place a 25x25 banner for AOL or some other advertising firm in exchange for a $100 million dollar donation. There are people on both sides of the argument pro and con the rejection of the offer. It has been stated that Wikipedia is ad-free and will stay that way forever by it's founder Jimmy Wales. Personally, I don't think I would mind ads in wikipedia but there's the whole point of being 100% objective and with Wikipedia fighting battles internally against biased users I don't think it needs ads to raise more problems. I wonder if there is a better way to support wikipedia than donations, I don't have any bright ideas tho, especially today, lol. What you guys think?

-Steve

Posted bySteve at 4:01 PM

3 comments:

Anonymous said... 5:32 AM  

"It has been stated that Wikipedia is ad-free and will stay that way forever by it's founder Jimmy Wales."

Could you give me the source?

Steve said... 12:03 AM  

I read it in a comment on post on the Calacanis blog I think. However after reading statements from the Wikimedia Foundation there's no specific mention to no ads. All I saw was that Wikipedia was going to be Free of Charge, not free of ads. So I'm going to have to retract that comment I guess.

Anonymous said... 1:21 AM  

Can anyone recommend the well-priced Remote Management & Monitoring system for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central desktop management
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Post a Comment

 
ss_blog_claim=df30a80aa7bf48a23dd85b6cff5720aa ss_blog_claim=df30a80aa7bf48a23dd85b6cff5720aa